Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The journey to Everest Base Camp


Day 16 in Nepal. I have finally reached the Phortse clinic after Everest Base Camp. As most people have commented, EBC is not as spectacular as one makes it out to be. For a start, one can’t really see Everest from the base camp (except for the western shoulder of the mountain). 

Kala Patthar is a way better site to view Everest from, on a good day. Kala Patthar means black rock in Hindi, for obvious reasons as it appears as a black hill standing on Gorak Shep, just beneath the south face of Pumori. Many climb it to catch sunrise or sunset where the views of Mt Everest is magnificent. 5545m tall, we climbed it to catch sunrise. Never underestimate any mountain was what I learnt. From Gorak Shep, I thought it looked like Bukit Timah Hill… however, it was a steep never ending incline up to the summit. The views were worth the cold winds though.

View of Mt Everest from Kala Patthar



This is my journey so far
Lukla- Phakding- Namche- Phortse- Periche- Lobuche- EBC
EBC- Periche- Phortse

As we walked to EBC, we met loads and loads of trekkers and climbers heading in the same direction. It almost felt like we were part of a carnival heading to the same funfair. I half expected to see balloons, cotton candy and game stands at EBC.

The sight I was greeted with was close to that… full of colourful tents., each belonging to a different trekking company. The campsite was huge and sophisticated. IMG campsite (where I was) was very impressive indeed, with their dining room, bathroom, makeshift toilets, charging tents and communication tents.

I stayed at EBC for 4 nights and that was an experience I’ll never forget. I got to finally have a shower (It felt like a spa as the bathroom was a tent built on the rocks.. and during daytime, it traps the heat from the sun, keeping the inside warm. However, the amazing experience was cut short when the bucket ran out of water just after I soaped) I got to finally wash my cloths (which turned hard the next day as they froze… and thawing them meant that the tent got wet)

I managed to watch the pooja, which is done for the safety of climbers and sherpas. Incidentally it fell on the same day as the Indian New Year. An emotional moment indeed- as it meant this is it for the climbers… their stint to summit Everest begins! All the best to the climbers!

And now I am finally back in Phortse. The porter who accompanied me only had slippers on. I tried to ask him how he did it.. only to realise he doesn't speak any English, except say 'Ok'.

The most interesting thing he asked me was 'This Phortse?' at the top of the village. (his task was to lead me to the village btw) I thanked Kumaran for having introduced me to the village earlier on....or I may have just followed him without realising that we have passed our destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment