Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

BACK IN ACTION!!!

It has been nearly 2 years since I wrote in the blog. Its funny how life evolves... and as one gets engulfed in the duties of life, things gets neglected. While I was in Nepal, the blog was my outlet.... to express my thoughts and describe events as they unfolded. However, once back in Singapore, work and family responsibilities makes it easy to neglect a seemingly unimportant task like updating my blog.

Ok, firstly, I have modified the blog such that my Nepal encounters are recorded in a diary form under the page 'Nepal Mission Trip'. Hence if interested, one can read about the trip in a chronological order.

I have also labelled my posts as themes. Hence, they can be read under particular themes.

So what has happened. I am training to be an Emergency Medicine physician in Singapore, Singhealth institution. I discovered my passion for Emergency Medicine, more so after the Nepal trip. I love working in the ED and cannot imagine being anywhere else.

Kumaran became widely recognised for his efforts to climb and raise money for charity. This lead to many awards, motivational talks and awareness of certain organisations such as the Mitras.

A well written Straits Time article celebrating his climb:
'The boy who grew up to climb Everest'

Here are links to some of his talks:
TEDx- Do you see the step between failure and success- which is one of my favourites
TEDx- Failures in success

The Mitra program is a Hindu Counselling program that focuses on helping prisoners as well as children from the Girls and Boys home in getting back on their feet. They are a group of trained dedicated individuals who have been quietly striving for the better of society.

In these 2 years, I have realised that there are many small groups in our Singaporean society who have been doing a significant amount of work with little recgonition. Their work makes a difference to various groups of people who are often forgotten by society. Seeing such people in action inspires me to do more for society. I am yet struggling to get the right balance...... if only there was 36 hours in a day

No comments:

Post a Comment